Blog#4

​A personal learning network (PLN) could be used to continue communication and collaboration between members, even in a virtual or remote work environment. With in-person gatherings no longer feasible due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the use of social media campaigns to continue the structure of PLNs—where you regularly meet, discuss, and share new ideas between learners within the network—can continue on even with distanced learning.

One topic that could be focused on concerning a PLN could be in the educational field, perhaps with an emphasis on educators looking to better educate themselves on staples of distanced learning such as Skype, Zoom, or Microsoft Teams. In this example, my audience would be fellow educators. For those unfamiliar with some of the video conferencing tools mentioned above, this transition from in-person to remote education may require new skill sets that some educators may have little or no experience in.

​Through social media, this PLN of educators could easily work together, provide new insights, ask questions of one another, and practice new technology tools to become better equipped and informed when using these strategies with their students on the digital landscape. Joining in on Facebook groups or engaging through education-focused Twitter hashtags can allow for information to be easily shared and accessible for allnetwork members. The PLN could effectively start new virtual communities through these social media platforms where members, regardless of their location, could practice tools like video chats, sharing presentation slides on their screen, or engaging in Kahoot polls/surveys with their students. Having the space to test out these maybe unfamiliar tools can be greatly beneficial, not just to the learning of the educators themselves but also to their students.

4 thoughts on “Blog#4

1. Hi Chloe!

I really like your idea. For educators especially I think professional development is really important and something that has to be continually worked on. I know a lot of younger teachers have a wide PLN on social media platforms, following other teachers for ideas/advice/etc., so within the model you’ve created it would also be a great place for these younger educators to share their resources with others who maybe don’t use socials in the same way!

2. Hi, Chloe. I agree with you that PLN can effectively launch new virtual communities through these social media platforms where members can practice video chat and share on screen wherever they are.

3. Hi chloe, You’re absolutely right. I would comment on other people’s content, initiate meaningful conversations with individuals through direct messaging, and build friendships with individuals to become a popular member, giving me a solid base from which to start my own content creation.

4. Hi Chloe,
    Your post touched on very important aspects that I feel that need to be put into consideration. For instance, you talked about PNL as a platform that has come in handy for distance learning opportunities during the Covid-19 pandemic. I agree that PNL users are generally not required to have a wide skillset of how video conferencing tools to operate this strategy. You did a good job and I feel that outlining how PNL is already being used would add more insight into your post.